A very smart friend, Genuine Femme, recently commented on Twitter:
This quote completely sums up a huge problem with the ongoing bastardization of the meaning of Butch and explains a great deal of the confusion and conflict that Dirt, I, Genuine Femme, and other (REAL) Lesbians experience in trying to reclaim the actual meanings of words from the lying, twisted, claw-like talons of Straightbians.
- Cuts her hair short or shaves her head or has a mohawk or has dreadlocks, etc.;
- Has a copious amount of tattoos and/or piercings and/or body modifications and/or rainbow-colored hair;
- Wears so-called “men’s” clothes (or even so-called “women’s” clothes that are stereotypically perceived to be “non-feminine”), including, but not limited to, any or all of the following: suits, ties, bow ties, ball caps, trousers, suspenders, Doc Martens, jeans, boxers, vests, cargo pants, leather, etc.;
- Simply (but incorrectly) calls herself “Butch”;
- Calls herself “gender nonconforming”, “gender defiant”, “gender deviant”, “gender diverse”, “genderqueer”, non-binary”, or any other such offensive terms;
- Incorrectly playacts “Butch” using her own uninformed preconceived notions of “Butch” via her version “acting like a man” (because “male-wannabe” is what she stupidly THINKS “Butch” is!), including, but not limited to, any or all of the following: being hypersexual, typically in a “top”/”Daddy” (ewww!!) sort of way; being domineering or overbearing; swaggering embarrassingly around like Barney Fife on steroids; packing; being sexist (treating her Straightbian like “the little woman” in the relationship); etc.;
- “Eschews femininity” (which is a ridiculous and untrue radfem notion; remember that REAL Lesbians do NOT “eschew feminity”).
The above misconceptions explain how Straightbians (many of whom often incorrectly call themselves “Femmes“) state (with the completely misplaced confidence of the completely ignorant) that “Butches strip” and other such nonsensical, inane claims.
Once again for the numerous seemingly slow-witted Straightbians/others who are perpetuating and/or believing such ridiculousness:
- Butch is NOT what someone does…BUTCH IS WHO SOMEONE IS.
- Butch is NOT an act nor a choice…BUTCHES ARE BORN BUTCH.
- Butch is NOT an “identity” or something anyone can “identify as”…SOMEONE IS EITHER BUTCH OR NOT (AND 99.9 % of the time…NOT!).
- Real Butches are very rare; most people probably have never met even met one. So if you see someone saying “I know 4 butches who….”, rest assured that person is completely clueless.
- Butches DO NOT AND WOULD NOT EVER STRIP, nor would they EVER participate in or even tangentially be involved in any other such heterocentric, hypersexualized, DICKsgusting displays depicting the stereotypical, tired-ass straight MALE fantasies of “Lesbian” — such as burlesque shows; sex work; sex shows; porn; sex(y) pics; etc. (Have these bozos ever heard of dysphoria? And do they care that the bullshit that they are spreading is actually harming Lesbians? Apparently NOT).
- Butches do NOT date each other. There is no such thing as “Butch-on-Butch”. Typically, so-called “Butch-on-Butch” pairings are 2 Straightbians playacting “Butch” as described above. Ditto with the DICKsgusting “Daddy/boi” kinky, sick-ass, gross perversions being peddled by various opportunistic liars claiming to be “Butch/Lesbian”.
- There are no Butch characters on TV and movies. So any writers mentioning purported “Butch characters” are full of crapola.
Many people ask why we continue to insist on calling out the numerous shocking inaccuracies about Butch, Femme, and Lesbian in general. We continue because words have meaning, and the truth matters.
If you find yourself feeling threatened by what we are saying, it’s time to stop and ask yourself why.
Perhaps you already know deep-down, underneath all of your rationalizations and layers of denial, that the life you are living is ONE BIG FAT LIE.
It’s time to face YOUR own demons instead of making demons out of us!